Streaky Bay Weather Forecast

Animal Management

When do I have to register my dog?

All dogs within the District Council area must be registered at the age of 3 months, with all dog registrations due by the 31st of August each year.

To download an application to register your dog please click here

How much does it cost to register my dog?

Please refer to Fees & Charges by clicking here.

Registration of a Business Consisting of or Involving Dogs

The owner or operator of a business consisting of or involving dogs:

  • a kennel at which dogs are bred or trained; or
  • the provision of secuity or other services involving the use of dogs,

must apply for an application for registration of a business involving dogs.  To download please click here

If a business is registered as a business involving dogs all dogs bred or trained at the kennel or used in connection with the business that are over 3 months of age will while kept at the kennel or used in the business needs to be registered.

Is there a limit on how many dogs or cats I can have?

Yes, there is a limit of two dogs and two cats that can be kept on any premises within a township area of the Council. No person shall, without obtaining the written permission of the Council, keep any dog on any premises where these numbers are exceeded.

The limit does not apply to areas within the district zoned as rural living.

How do I make a complaint about a barking dog?

Under the Dog & Cat Management Act 1995 the person who owns or is responsible for the control of the dog is guilty of an offence if the dog (either alone or together with other dogs, whether or not in the same ownership) creates a noise, by barking or otherwise, which persistently occurs or continues to such a degree or extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of a person.

To enable Council officers to act on issues, a written complaint is required from those persons directly affected. The complaint will then be assessed by Council officers.

What do I do if I have lost my dog

If your dog is missing contact the Council office as soon as possible on 86261 001 or Council's General Inspector on 0427 400 584. Council staff will be able to advise you if your dog is at the pound and if not will take your details in the event your dog is found.

Under the Dog & Cat Management Act if a dog is not claimed within 72 hours it becomes Council property.

If your dog is registered and wearing a collar you will be contacted to advise you that your dog is at the pound and of any charges and expiations that may apply.

What are the charges relating to seizure and detention of dogs?

Under Section 64 of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 the Council may recover charges payable under the regulations in relation to the seizing and detention of a dog.  Please refer to Fees and Charges by clicking here.

Section 62 - A person is not entitled to the return of a dog unless they provide satisfactory evidence that he/she owns or is responsible for the dog, or is authorised to receive the dog by a person who owns or is responsible for the control of the dog and, in the case of an unregistered dog, the dog must be registered before leaving the pound.

What expiations can be issued by the Council?

Council may issue the following expiations (eg. fines) in relation to offences committed under the Dog & Cat Management Act:

  • Dog defecating in a public place and the person responsible not removing the faeces - $210.00
  • Dog with no collar and no registration disc in a public place - $170.00
  • Dog wandering at large - $210.00
  • Dog in the grounds of a school - $ 315.00
  • Dog within a shop (not being an assistance dog) - $315.00
  • Dog rushing or chasing a car - $315.00
  • Transporting unrestrained dog - $210.00
  • Dog creating a nuisance by barking or otherwise - $315.00
  • Dog harassing, chasing or attacking a person, bird or animal - $315.00
  • Dog attacking a person, on its own premises who has a lawful right of entry - $315.00

Under the Dog and Cat Management Act prescribed breed means any of the following breeds:

  • American Pit Bull Terrier
  • Fila Braziliero
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentina
  • Presa Canario

How can I adopt a dog from the pound?

If you are interested in adopting a dog from the pound please contact the Council Office on 86261 001 or Council's General Inspector on 0427 400 584 to find out if there are any dogs available for adoption or to make an appointment to view a dog. There is no fee applicable beyond registering the dog.

Further Information

For further information on dogs and cats within the Council area see Council By-Law No.5 and By-Law No.6 - Dogs & Cats or contact the Council Main Office on 86261 001.

For further information on the Dog & Cat Management Act, plus  information on caring for your animal please see the Dog & Cat Management Board website.

District Council of Streaky Bay PO Box 179, Streaky Bay SA 5680
29 Alfred Terrace, Streaky Bay SA 5680
Tel: 08 86261 001

DCSB-AM-01.01 Animal Management Plan(712 kb)

Are you looking to exercise your dog offlead?  The maps below provide the offlead areas within the district and town.

Dog Offlead Areas - Town and District Maps

Print PageContact UsTop of PageHome
District Council of Streaky Bay, 29 Alfred Terrace, Streaky Bay SA 5680
Telephone: 08 8626 1001 |Facsimile: 08 8626 1196